As I arrived at the entrance to Capitol Hall, I ran into a few of my classmates. We waited outside — uncertain of where we were to begin our visit. Eventually one of us realized we needed to be inside, so we made our way accordingly. In hindsight, I can see that my unwillingness to enter was more apprehension of what would be inside than uncertainty of where we would meet.

It’s incredible to think of how I naturally try to keep the homeless at arm’s length — how afraid I am to really engage with them.

But that is why I am grateful to have gone to Capitol Hall. From beginning to end, my expectations were turned upside down, and I was constantly introduced to a new — a better way of approaching the problem of homelessness.

From the openness and determination of the Upper West side residents, to the resourcefulness and diligence of the social workers, to the kindness and thoughtfulness of the outreach workers, to the the intelligence and passion of the ones who run the Hall and the outreach program, to the gratitude of those who now call Capitol Hall their home — the whole scene rang with hope.

And for me, that was the most important thing. Usually when I try to inform myself about any problem that society is facing, it’s hard, because it isn’t easy to see any solution. But actually seeing people not afraid to tackle the problem — that made me want to understand the problem, think of possible solutions, and see that it is possible to find solutions. In short, in gave me hope.