It’s one thing to learn about homelessness and affordable housing in class. It’s another thing to go out in the real world, to meet people who live in a low income residence and talk about their experiences. It humanizes them, and gets you to think not only about policy, but about the impact that policy has on the individuals affected by it.

That’s why I appreciated our visit to Capitol Hill. Instead of learning about homelessness as some abstract concept or statistic, we were able to speak face to face with the people who saved this residence and shaped it into what it is today. We also got to meet people who lived there, and hear their stories. It was truly a humbling experience, and it opened my eyes to a reality that I had never considered too deeply before.

I thought it was especially valuable to hear from the people who live in and benefit from Capitol Hill. One of the residents talked to us about his experience living in homeless shelters in the past; he told us how dehumanizing it was to live in a room where another person’s bed was at arm’s length, and how these shelters never really felt like home. He told us about his girlfriend and his daughter, and the experiences that led him to where he is now. Hearing him speak confirmed that we need a better solution to New York City’s housing crisis. Everyone deserves stability, and more residences like Capitol Hill can provide that.

Sarah