Struggle Between Cultures

Growing up, I have always been told that I have to learn an instrument, specifically the piano. I remember sitting on the stool for hours every week trying to play a symphony by Beethoven. I could not understand why I had to practice for hours. Other children in my neighborhood were always outdoors playing sports and simply having fun. I wanted to be part of that culture. I remember asking my parents, “Why do I have to learn an instrument?” They responded with, “Many people play the piano, so you should too.” I could not understand this. Overtime, I began to realize that this was their response for every question I asked. When travelling to a relative’s house, I would ask, “Why do we have to take the subway?” They told me, “Because everyone who is going is taking the subway also.” At times, it would be frustrating to do what everyone else is doing because that was the general consensus.

On the other hand, I remember my teacher telling me to “find something you like to play” during band class. This response was so strange to me that I spent a long time trying to decide which instrument was the right one to choose. Ultimately, I chose to play the flute simply because I liked the sound of the notes coming from the instrument. This time, my decision was not based on what everyone else did. Rather, it was because of my interests.

In school, teachers often fostered the notion of creativity. Whereas, at home, being unique was the wrong. There was this constant struggle between individualism and doing what was better for the entire group. Fortunately, I was able to find a balance between these two cultures overtime. I would still play the piano occasionally, but they would be pieces that I enjoyed listening to.

This entry was posted in Cultural Encounters. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Struggle Between Cultures

1. vivianwu says:

I can understand your experience of having to play an instrument because of parents and because everyone was doing so; similar to you I was told to learn the piano and violin because everyone else did. I liked how when you were given the opportunity to make your own decisions though, you did break our of your shell and choose something that you wanted, not something to follow the norm.

2. Alessandra Rao says:

Great piece. Never thought you could be so rebellious! Haha, just kidding.

I liked your story and it was interesting to read about your observations on what is considered the “norm” around you. It’s nice to know that you found a sense of individuality through creativity and music. I feel that way too, especially when playing guitar. Music is a really great way to express creativity without being held back.