Although Jacobs’ message is both clear and logical, I’m not sure that her message that people attract other people applies to all public areas. I do agree that the sight of people makes other feel safer on sidewalks and therefore perpetrates this notion of some streets always seeming safe while other deserted, therefore making them seem dangerous. However, one thing I don’t agree with her on is that people will go to a public space just to people watch, such as a shopping area. I don’t think people will walk to the shopping area just to people-watch, instead they will walk there to run errands or for some other purpose and then use the benches provided for rest and unintentionally begin to people watch. She proves this point by stating that Broadway by Columbia and Barnard is full of empty street benches year-around due to the relatively few shops which perpetrates a cycle of deserted streets. With no crowds incentivizing the continued use of the area.

I wonder what she would make out of modern day congested Columbia on weekends. Filled with strollers, students, and loungers although still not a large shopping area. I think this fact that the people come out in modern day, just to walk among others enjoying the campus verifies her theory that people attract other people to public areas.  As someone who lives in Harlem, I frequently take walks to Columbia. I go mainly to enjoy the landscape and architecture of the campus, but entertainment myself by people watching. This goes to prove that although people may not be solely incentivized by solely people, other people being around will keep the area lively and more populated.