I was quite intrigued by the first reading, “The Uses of Sidewalks: Safety.” I think that the author presents a logical flow of information which readers can relate to. I certainly did.

One point mentioned that caught my eye is that neighbors can be strangers. Although my family has only lived in two places – in an apartment building before and now in a house – we have always had what to do with the people who live around us. I remember my best friend growing up lived in the apartment down the hall. My best friends when I got a little older lived two doors down and across the street, respectively. However, a friend of mine who recently got married and lives in Washington Heights with her husband told me that she doesn’t really interact with the other people in her building, beyond superficial/friendly contact. Another friend of mine who’s apartment I recently visited told me she doesn’t know ANY of her neighbors. I was astounded. From a sociological perspective, it seems that many people don’t have the same priorities I do when moving in someplace new. On the other hand, when I was in Israel studying between high school and college, I was invited to spend the Passover Seder at a family who lived near my seminary. When I went to help out before the holiday, I learned that these people are best friends with the people in their building, despite cultural and age differences between them and their neighbors.

Reflecting on this, I’m wondering how much of your relationship with the people you share a building or sidewalk with has to do with personal preference and how much has to do with outside forces that contribute to an open or less inviting atmosphere.