I have lived in New York since the day I was born. As a native, I can’t possibly see myself residing anywhere other than the Big Apple. The opportunities are limitless, the diversity is like any other city I’ve visited, and there’s something about the atmosphere that sets it apart. The spotlight shines on the people that travel all the way here from all over the world. I completely agree with White’s idea that, “natives give it (New York City) solidity and continuity, but the settlers give it passion” (26). When I look around, it’s normal to see people of different cultures, races, and ethnicities. Those who truly see the benefits and lifestyle New York has to offer are the ones who cherish and value the city. I do not appreciate the structures and surroundings in the city as much as the “settlers” do. I think that natives simply pass through their days without embracing what is around them. 

Jacob’s excerpt expands on the idea of the role the “settlers” play, “Storekeepers and other small businessmen are typically strong proponents of peace and order themselves… they are great street watchers and sidewalk guardians” (37). When I look around at the stores that are in my neighborhood, the store owners come from all different backgrounds. I strongly believe that New York was built on immigrants and will continue to be the backbone of our city despite all the current legal issues that have surfaced due to our current administration. The people, with their unique stories and personalities, are essentially what makes up New York City; the city simply exist and would not be as admired if it was only composed of the buildings, stores, and other architecture.