There is no doubt that America prides itself on its rich history. From stories that spanned across the American Revolution to the Industrial Revolution, we have covered some of the biggest comeback stories and achievements of our time. But as the saying goes, “History is written by the victors.” Although certain events were not neglected, they did not receive the coverage they deserved. A prime example of this was the Great Migration between 1916 and 1970. it was refreshing to read, especially since it was a topic I was only vaguely familiar with. I loved how the author walked us through history alongside some people that experienced these hardships firsthand such as Ida Me Brandon Gladney. I appreciated the background knowledge of what caused this movement, but what I found most important was the ways families faced many of the same problems they had before whether it may be directly or indirectly. A theme I found particularly interesting was how all viewed that the fate of their cities were linked to migrants. As a result, minorities tended to keep interaction with whites to a minimum to prevent themselves from being used or abused. I can definitely see a parallel even to this day, as this is a general relationship that carries over to even my family now. Another theme I found particularly interesting was the expectations set by society, especially regarding work. Ida Mae was definitely not fit for cotton and was often ridiculed for this. Still, she found new ways to contribute such as the way she raised chickens! Work equality is definitely a key topic in today’s world, as we have realized everyone has the capabilities to do a variety of jobs deemed to be the jobs of a singular group. It is amazing that we have come so far with improvements such as better wages for all. The Great Migration was no small feat, as it was a huge step that helped lead the way for privacy and equality for all. I only hope pieces of history such as this are highlighted more.