Overtime, many efforts have been to expand the accessibility of becoming a homeowner, some successful and some not even passed the discussion and debate.  It is very clear that a house is an immense cost and although the prices have increased, certain legislation has been passed in order to overcome the economic hardships attached to this commitment. Despite the government’s efforts to expand the range of people who can have the opportunity to become a homeowner, the government has still put its people at a disadvantage by “labeling” and in some way “segregating” neighborhoods which are separated based on class.

This subtle but yet unsubtle action by the government aimed at keeping certain markets high and in good standing making people of higher social class more likely to purchase a home in those areas. Today, this is still apparent in my neighborhood. The people of my neighborhood tend to be from the West Indies and slowly I have noticed an introduction and sudden growth of Caucasians. This means the prices are rising and making it much harder for those with lower income to purchase a home here. As Americans we claimed to have ended the racial segregation however, we have implemented a systematic racial barrier amongst ourselves. This may be beneficial to our economy but creates a gap between having people of a lower class or minorities feel as if there is a chance to live in certain neighborhoods rated with an “‘A”.