As a driver in New York City since I received my licesne when I was 17, I have become accustomed to the various highways and parkways (still don’t know the difference!). However, it’s interesting to see that the major highways that millions of New Yorkers rely on to travel was built solely through Robert Moses. I wouldn’t have imagined that highways that I drive to travel across New York City such as Grand Central, Belt Parkway, Southern State and LIE were all built from the work of one man. I think this goes to highlight the impact and power Robert Moses possessed on New York City. I was kind of shocked that Moses still yielded so much power even over powerful mayors such as LaGuardia and Dewey. As politicians came into office and left office, there was only one thing that was certain, the power of Robert Moses to dictate the future of New York City would continue.

Lastly, I think it’s important to recognize the legacy Moses has stamped for himself on New York City. With state parks and highways and dams named after him, Moses is inextricably linked with New York City. Moses will live on as long as New York City continues to live on and be a thriving city. In a way, Moses has found a way to essentially become immortal and engrave his name onto New York City.