The city has seen tremendous change throughout the years, and one of the key individuals that has led that change includes Robert Moses. Moses was a key public official that was well known for the role he played as New York’s “Master Builder”. The influence he had over New York is undeniable. From extending the boundaries of the city, to building new power generating structures, to denoting the major roads to make commutes more efficient, his leadership shaped a otherwise unchangeable city. His most significant change to me was definitely in regards to housing, especially the Eastern edge of Manhattan Island which saw massive overhauling from 1945 to 1958. I was most surprised by the long amount of time remained in office and the legacy he left. There are few that can compare to the amount that he has done for the city. But what I found most intriguing was how he amassed power. It is said that you rule best through fear, and Moses makes an example out of that. I found it incredibly ironic that in the beginning, Moses had noted that “Truth would prevail”, but his empire is based on lies and manipulation. Still, it is admirable how he was able to keep up with his network and gain their support all the while reconstructing the way people live. If it were not for this method of planning, who would know if Moses would be able to do the same.

This urban renewal of New York has a great advantageous impact to its habitants, but also serve different alternate motives. An important idea I noticed In “The Power Broker: Robert Moses and The Fall of New York,” was how the city changes the way we live. Of course, this renewal provided a solution to many physical and economic problems, from reducing air and water pollution to offering new jobs. But this also had a social incentive as well, where it was a goal to drive people into and out of specific areas, to set up competitive neighborhoods and separation of different peoples. Still, reform was for the poor and rich, as Claude Levi Strauss recalled how the jumbled hodgepodge of the old-fashion and exotic that was New York saw dramatic social and physical transformation. I believe reform was necessary to shine a light on New York’s culture and neighborhoods rather than its factories. Even if it is for alternative reasons, we can all agree that everyone benefitted from the city’s renewal. That is part of the reason why Trump’s urban infrastructure excited me. But in the end, we were all disappointed as a result of a lack of planning. Considering his previous experience, I am curious that he was not able to connect with anyone that can truly help him structure this plan, but time will tell where this so called “plan” goes. This goes to show, you may have wealth, but if you do not manage your connections the way Robert Moses has, you will not nearly go as far.