The Propublica article accentuates how inefficient government can be and how it not only propagates but also creates inequality. One thing I found interesting was that even today, there are a number of individuals who think that people naturally segregate themselves because they think people just want to live in certain enclaves. This reminded me of the conversation we had in class regarding enclaves, but this isn’t true for those truly segregated, because enclaves are created by choice not by keeping people out. I was also shocked at the statistic that African Americans who earned an annual income of $75k lived in poorer neighborhoods than white Americans earning $40k a year. I think this just speaks volumes about the “choice” available to African Americans.

One theme I found really infuriating throughout this article was government inefficiency. How is it possible for multiple presidents to blatantly ignore and refuse to enforce a law that has been passed by both the House and Senate? If it had enough votes to be passed, then the President shouldn’t fear backlash to enforce a law of the land. Also, why is it legal for the president to pick and choose which laws he chooses to enforce?  I personally don’t understand why such a common sense law – that outlawing segregation should also mean actively doing everything the government can legally do to desegregate housing (something that impacts a person’s whole life) – had to go through multiple presidents and supreme court decisions yet still be up for debate in the 2012 Presidential race. Unfortunately, I don’t see any positive changes happening with the Fair Housing Act under the current administration, which is a really upsetting reality that we’re still fighting segregation as a country in the year 2018.