Coates: Mr. Williamson, I appreciate you taking the time to fully analyze the arguments and steps forward I proposed in my monograph. However, I obviously can’t help but respectfully disagree with all of your points. African Americans have had the unique experience of being held back by racist policies and government officials, still to this day. Comparing this group to others that have faced discrimination or immigrated to America doesn’t weaken the case for reparations for African Americans. I’ve proven that a system can come about, through Congress listening to John Conyers Jr., and can expedite African Americans reaching social and financial equality as a race. Yes, I understand European Jews and Asians also had come to this country and experienced an income gap for a certain time period, but their difficulties cannot be directly blamed on the government and racism. Why should we wait for this gap to close if reparations can produce change in the present?

Williamson: As I stated, the income gap has been closing rapidly between blacks and whites. Reparations have the potential to create more animosity and isolation between the two racial groups than already exists. I understand that Israel reaped great benefits from Germany’s reparations, but the two situations are very different. That was an exchange between two countries. In America, we strive for a culture and community where we can be united, despite skin color, gender, religion, etc. Implementing such a widespread and expensive quick fix for a long term problem isn’t the answer.

Coates: As I mentioned in my publication, which I thought you read, the division and animosity you’re predicting will result from reparations, is already here. Blacks and whites are fully aware of our country’s dark past. Reparations will be a full fledged attempt, by this country, to bury the hatchet. As I state in my article, they are our best chance at a “settling with old ghosts” and “banishment of white guilt”. Also, I’m not even fully demanding reparations. I’m demanding that the U.S. government hears out Congressman John Conyers Jr’s proposing a study of the long term effects of slavery and discrimination on blacks, and what appropriate remedies might be. Our government won’t even discuss this topic. It’s a shame, and reminiscent of the politics that brought us to this point.

Williamson: Are you sure your desire to settle old ghosts and banish guilt is entirely directed towards white people? As I mentioned in my response, it’s possible that this reform could be a result of the guilt of well off African Americans, such as yourself. I understand that you were able to run us through Clyde Ross’s numerous losses throughout his lifetime, but he is not a member of the only group to face discrimination and experience heavy grief and difficulty. We want to avoid the “moral primivitism” I also mentioned in my response, as the wealth gap isn’t guaranteed to close, but is most definitely moving in the right direction. The multitude of generations that would’ve understandably deserved and benefited from reparations are deceased. That was a failure of our former government. All that we should do now is ensure that government policy continues to escalate equality among all races in America, and avoid divisions by any means necessary.