I think I always had differentiating views on homelessness, and especially homelessness throughout New York City. While in high school in Queens and only rarely coming to the city, I was the person who would always give a dollar to when I saw a homeless person. I would feel great empathy towards them not living in an actual home, and would think why or how they are in this position. I think having a roof over one’s head is a basic necessity that should be almost guaranteed, especially in a developed nation like the US. But in our capitalistic economy, there will always be a few people in the complete bottom of the pyramid. Thus, homelessness will always be intrinsic to our society. But back to the point, once I had graduated high school and started attending college at Baruch and coming to Manhattan on an almost daily basis, I realized the the pervasiveness of the homeless issue. I would see 3-4 homeless people on a street corner for many blocks. If I were to give a dollar to each of these individuals, my wallet itself would have went empty!

In the NY Times article “New Homeless Shelters Slow to Open, Despite de Blasio Promise”, it is apparent that de Blasio wants to help cut down on the homeless population like any sensible mayor, but I feel like the main issue is that residents just don’t want a homeless shelter opening up in their area; this can be for a myriad of reason such as a decrease in property value, fear of more crime in the area, and just a dissatisfaction against the aroma associated with a “homeless shelter.” This actually occurred in my neighborhood as well. There was a proposed homeless shelter about 8 blocks from my house, but the plan was ultimately shot down. Residents to local businesses all fought against the idea and in the end they came victorious.