In past readings and class discussions we’ve spoken about the housing system over and over again. We’ve learned about different housing policies that shaped neighborhoods, housing projects like Pruitt Igoe, the rent regulation system, etc. but I felt this was the first reading that talked about why any of it is important. When you talk about the “housing crisis” in New York, at its core is the homelessness crisis. At a time when the market is supposedly doing better than ever, homelessness is at an all time high.

In New York, it has become impossible to shut our eyes to this problem. On the three avenue walk from the R train to Baruch, I passed about four homeless people with no where to go. How is it possible that the economy is booming, the job market is booming, but the amount of people living on the street right now is at a record breaking high.

I found in the New York Times article that our mayor talks a big game about building all these shelters and getting people off the streets, but the fact of the matter is the homelessness crisis has only gotten worse during his term in office. They also mentioned in the article the Park Savoy Hotel, that would be repurposed as a shelter. The neighborhood backlash was incredible. Everyone wants to solve the homelessness crisis and get people off the street, until the solution is on their block.