I never realized that gentrification can be viewed positively by the original residents of a gentrified neighborhood. Although they’re afraid of being displaced many of them are property owners and beneficiaries of rent stabilization, so gentrification has mostly positive effects for these residents. However, it left me wondering, what neighborhood, if any, will be left un-gentrified. I feel like every neighborhood in and around the city is destined for gentrification, because the people who are essentially invading and displacing people are themselves displaced and priced out of locations otherwise they’d be able to afford. But as more and more of the city and neighborhoods meant for the lower, working class get too expensive and people get displaced, what neighborhood will be left for people to move into? The article that talked about a teacher no longer affording her childhood neighborhood and moving to the Bronx, is just another example of her gentrifying another neighborhood. And its only a matter of time before the Bronx will also start to get expensive. Where will the people who maintain the city (such as the garbage workers, subway maintenance workers, and others) afford to live?

I don’t see how this is a sustainable future for the city. I feel like more and more people are being pushed out of the center of the city and many of the people who work for the city will no longer afford to live in it. This just proves that the city doesn’t just need more housing, but needs affordable housing with regulations that will make the city a viable option for all the people who support it.