Rent control is just one policy that has played a prominent role in shaping economic activity across time. Many measures like this including minimum wage laws and milk prices has received widespread acceptance as necessary to promote the general welfare of people. But none are as controversial as rent control. Although the first incarnation of multifamily tenements were constructed in 1833, they faced many issues as a result of poverty, which led to intense overcrowding and epidemics. What I found unbelievable was it took 30 years to introduce health and safety policies with that. In recent news, it is great to see the quick action of officials to help the hundreds if not thousands of Bronx rent-control inhabitants that dealt with the winter months without heat and hot water. I am disappointed that public officers during that time did not hear about these severe issues and failed to take action. Seeing how the authority of the NYC Rent Guidelines Board is very broad, it is just another way more can be done to efficiently accommodate for more people and families. I found it eyeopening to revisit historical moments of time with the topic of rent control in mind, from the prosperous 1920s where property tax incentives and exemption of new construction produced housing abundance to the Great Depression where rent controls had little to no effect as a policy option because rents were depressed and vacancies remained high. The section of this text that interested me the most was the main features of rent stabilization, especially the content of “fair” rent levels. This policy’s only function is not only to keep rents at a affordable rate, but ensure a reasonable return.