In this reading, it was insightful to learn how the political atmosphere of  World War I affected rent-control policies and housing policies. A common theme I noticed in reading about the post-war controls of World-War I and World War II was that construction and rent-controls were compromised because of a diversion of resources to the war effort. The collapse in new construction seems like it would have been inevitable because of the need to concentrate resources for the United States to fight the first war of its time. However, it is equally important to learn how this created a housing crisis of its own. Vacancy rates were so severe in the 1920’s that properties from 1920 to 1926 were exempt from property taxation, and units built after 1920 were exempt from rent laws. Additionally, it interesting to learn how the Red Scare influenced rent-control policy initiatives in the State Assembly. The Assembly expelled the very members were for the laws they passed.

It is also interesting that this combined initiative created a housing abundance. Another common theme among the post-war rent controls was that  New York also experienced another housing boom after World War II. The City has not been able to achieve the vacancy rate as that of the post World War I era because of notable differences in the political climate in rent regulation. World War I was a different era in which building sites were inexpensive. The growth of the suburbs and more restrictive zoning and building laws also contribute to the inability of the city to achieve a normal vacancy rate. I wonder what new rent-control initiatives  New York City will have to achieve a normal vacancy rate, and if this was only a factor unique to the 1920’s.