For as long as I can remember, I have always used Powerpoints or Prezi slides for my presentations ranging from elementary school and even now in college, teachers and professors tend to request a presentation using slides. The way that I have been taught to “effectively” use the slides, is the less content the better. However, this idea contrasts with Tufte’s argument. He argues that a well developed content display is the way to go rather than short and sweet.

Many of my previous educators provided ‘guidelines’ for what they preferred students to include and one of the criteria that stands out the most is the idea that “less is more”. This concept that having bullet points which make reference to a certain point is key to having a rather impacting presentation. The details of the bullet points should be communicated based off of memory with the optional aid of index cards or notes. I disagree with the Tufte’s argument that populating your presentation with content is more effective. Personally, I believe that having key points presented to the audience keep them more engaged and intrigued because all of the information has not been revealed and their is anticipation of what is to come. The audience will be more likely to be attentive to hear how the presenter elaborates on a topic. The graphics and visual aids also play a role in the relationship between the presenter and the audience. Some people tend to be visual learners and some are a combination of visual and auditory learner and such additions to a presentation makes it easier for others to learn. Tufte makes a strong argument against the use of powerpoint due to the fact that the graphics ruin the numbers and words. As a matter of fact, Powerpoint helps to organize all of the data one has into a comprehensive presentation.