Chelsea Galleries Adventures

It was interesting to see what qualifies as art and what is brushed off to the streets. As we walked into the Martin Honert gallery, the first thing we encountered was a man sitting at the desk, typing away on a sleek Macbook. He seemed to be an art piece in and of himself, representing the uppity and somewhat pretentious dynamic of the Chelsea gallery scene.  He did not even look up as we walked in. Somehow, I always look down when I’m in the city. I find it fascinating what the underrated minds of New York City have to offer. It’s amazing to see that art that is drifting around the actual streets of Chelsea, not just the wall of expensive art galleries.              

This sticker caught my attention after we had gone through all of the galleries. It struck me as interesting that something this simple could make such a big statement. I found myself comparing it to the gallery we visited it last, Lived, Lives, Will Live!, which made a statement about wealth using 24 carat gold chains.  This illustration was so simple, but I liked the fact that it showed that money and happiness are intertwined. I really appreciate simplicity because it takes a lot of talent to make a point in a focused and a straightforward way.

I liked this hypocritical piece of graffiti, although I did not completely understand it. Under a tiny sign stating, “Street art kills,” there were three bottles of insulin with needles, which is used as a remedy for diabetes. The artist seemed to imply that is akin to diabetes–a disease–but the cure was painted on the streets of New York. The cure to street art is street art? the more I thought about it, he was urging good street artists to undo the damage that “bad” graffiti had created. The thing about graffiti is that it is meant to be looked at with a passing glance- characteristically busy New Yorkers don’t have time for much more- so the fact that I was reading so much into it felt different; I was so used to discussing the art in the galleries that I didn’t realize this art was meant for a completely different audience.

One thought on “Chelsea Galleries Adventures

1. Maria Daniela Ospina

Heyyy Girl 😀 !!!! I find your post very interesting because it really shows that you appreciated every second in the galleries but also in the street. I can identify with you because just as you loved the art in the streets, I did too. I think it’s cool that both of us have a similar point of view in when we look at art. I couldn’t see the graffiti with the three insulin and the needles and I wish I could’ve seen it because it seem’s very creative and I also like the question that you ask: The cure to street art is street art? …..