Chelsea Galleries – The Streets as a Gallery

Out of all the galleries and the artwork displayed in these galleries the piece of art that stood out to me the most was the Aerial view of Diepsloot by Pieter Hugo whose work was on display.

The photo which is shown to the left, is the view of Diepsloot a settlement in South Africa. Through the picture you can see the living conditions that the inhabitants withstand; no proper roads, shacks made of any material found. This picture was the object of my fascination particularly because of the strong resemblance it has to the Dominican Republic, where my parents were born and raised. My initial thought was actually of whether or not it was DR. Regardless of the place pictured, looking at Hugo’s piece of art caused me to reminisce about all the times I’ve traveled to visit my family and how similar the living conditions are between the two places that are on nearly opposite sides of the globe.

Although the galleries were fairly entertaining , I found the artwork spread around the IMG_20131011_152759neighborhood captivated my attention more. One artwork that caught my attention was the one pictured to the right. I almost walked right by it because of how used to the emergency boxes I am but thankfully I noticed it. One street artist took an old, out of service red fire alarm box and made it his own art piece. He added a figurine of a hooded man holding a boom box and even added some tiny details to the inside of the box. Another art piece that IMG_20131011_133118grabbed my attention was graffiti that was done to a truck. Although graffiti being an art is a very controversial topic, I believe that this was in fact a piece of art. The artist used such a varied combination of colors and shapes that it would be nearly impossible to not notice the truck as you were walking by.

2 thoughts on “Chelsea Galleries – The Streets as a Gallery

1. Brian Rivera

I agree 109876545345689% on your opinions, here. I enjoyed the artwork that was strewn about the streets of Chelsea MUCH more interesting and captivating than the various galleries that which we’d visited during our “Chelsea excursion.” Your views seemed more open-minded than some artist often claim to be; particularly, your views on the Graffiti of Chelsea. I do have one question for you though: Where was the chaos?