Why Lucy and Her Husband Left Guyana

Lucy describes the evils and corruption of Guyana:

There’s a lot of bribes- people can commit crimes, and the rich person- if- say- like this, the rich person son do something, you c- i- to the poor one – who doesn’t have money – you can’t do anything about it. Because you don’t have the money. The judge would take the bribe, and the rich one walks free. That’s how it is with everything. You bribe people to get a good job in the government. Every- everyting is a bribe, and lotta drugs money dere. And de police and de government and de president and everybody is involved in it.

She goes on to describe the poor conditions and low standard of life in Guyana:

[My husband] didn’t have a job in Guyana, so his grandfather brought him over here. He came and I wanted to come too; me nah get food for the kids, me nah get money to spend on them, and there was a lot of hardship and no job…and I can’t even buy clothes for myself. I couldn’t even feed my children properly, couldn’t even buy books for them. Shoes, milk, anything.

This entry was posted in Lucy from Guyana, Push and Pull Factors, Interview Project. Bookmark the permalink.