Reflections

I thought this class would be really interesting, and I was right. It was really interesting. I live about 30 minutes from New York City, and I guess it’s just one of those things you take for granted, like you don’t really think about it or how it came to be there all that much. So learning about the history of this city, the people that comprise this city, and immigration and integration in New York was a really eye-opening experience.

I really, really enjoyed writing the immigration essay and interviewing my great-aunt for my interview project. I spoke to family members about our own personal experiences, and I learned about the humble, harsh beginnings of new lives in America. I spoke to my great-aunt for one of the first times, and I learned all about how she traveled between many countries in Europe, and finally settled in America, where she immediately felt at home. I learned about my grandmother, who came to America with just one suitcase, and had to learn a new language and struggle to make a living, so eventually I could have a better life here.

I struggled with the stastical profile. I don’t like numbers or graphs, and that’s probably why this was my lowest grade. I dreaded working with Excel and other forms of technology, and I will probably hate technology for the rest of my life. But I did enjoy the challenge, and this class certainly challenged me not only technologically, but also to expand my thinking and my view of New York City. When I pass by different immigrants, I can think about what kinds of difficulties they have or may currently face, what kind of discrimination or inequalities they may have faced, and my own role as a citizen of the United States.

This entry was posted in Feedback. Bookmark the permalink.