Student Film Inspiration

This short film takes an artistic take on the ‘typical’ Youtube vlog (video blog). CatCreature (Annabelle), is one of my favorite youtubers. She chronicles her life as a student at RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) in the form of “moving albums” and vlogs. I found this video particularly interesting and inspiring for a number of reasons. The way she cropped the video makes the entire video appear as if it was a piece of moving artwork. I like how the scenes she filmed were edited to the beat of the song. I enjoyed the way she told a story with nothing more than clips she filmed and a song. She even selected songs to fit with the mood she was trying to convey with the scenes. For example, the beginning parts of the video have a fun, spunky song in the background as they arrived and had fun at the beach where as the later part of the video where they are leaving has a orchestral, melancholic song in the background. I think the way she edited the video played a big part in making the ‘moving album’ such a fun yet impactful piece and I am inspired to emulate that.