The Band’s Visit

The Band’s Visit was about an Egyptian band who got lost in Israel due to the language barrier between them and the natives, The play incorporated many topics such as class, culture, race and ethnicity, region and nation. Each of these aspects played an important role in developing the play. The play managed to take both different cultures and manage to incorporate them into a singular play by incorporating Israeli and Egyptian humor. For explain the Cafes name in the play where written in Hebrew but when translated was called Cafe Restaurant.  The show touched upon the different classes by having one character be in between jobs and struggling to keep his wife happy as well as keeping himself happy. One of the biggest factors of the play was the language barrier between them. In Arabic there is no “p” sound in their alphabet, so the “p” sounds like “b”. Unknowing to the Egyptian band, they ultimately ended up getting lost. The play solved this complication by having them speak in English which allowed the characters as well as the audience to enjoy and understand. Truthfully, I came into this play with very low expectations thinking that I would come out disappointed but at the end, I ended up enjoying the play and recommending it to my friends