The Band’s Visit

The Band’s Visit is a simple and moving Broadway musical that explores culture and human interaction. In the play an Egyptian band lands themselves in Beit Hatikvah because of a language barrier the presented itself at the bus station. Due to the fact that the arabic language does not have a “p” sound, “p” sounds like “b” which lands them in the mundane country of Beit Hatikvah. As soon as the band lands it is clear that their arrival is the most interesting that has happened to them in quite a while. The interactions between the band and the natives are awkward at first but through some musical pieces you start to see the human nature that was lacking in the past. I believe that this is the most successful part of bringing The Band’s Visit to Broadway. By making the movie a musical you find pockets of emotion that you didn’t realize existed before. While watching the movie I also did what Professor Donovan did, which was try to predict where they would add a musical number, but I was wrong. This shows that music is able to express feelings that cannot be expressed through simple conversation. Overall I feel that this was a very successful adaptation from screen to stage.

One thought on “The Band’s Visit

1. They surprised us with not just the placement of the songs but also which characters were assigned them, right?