MoMA: Is Cultural Fashion Modern?

(Sorry the picture is so dark, but I really wanted the added effect of my nephews with their kippot in front of the display and the lighting was a bit dark)

I chose to capture the kippot (or yarmulke) for the blog because of its connection to me and my culture. In an exhibit displaying the connection between fashion, and (of many other topics) culture, the kippah is perfect example. Today, the different types of kippot make not only religious statements but fashion statements as well. While they may be looked at as simple and generic, they are chosen for their color, style, pattern, size, symbolism and material (quite similar, it seems, to exactly how one would choose their clothing). My nephew on the left, for example, has the Hebrew letters of the alphabet surrounding his kippah, while my nephew on the right has the initials of a boy who recently had his Bar Mitzvah in my synagogue. My nephews personally chose out their kippot because of the way they look. This really proves the idea that even a cultural object can be seen as modern fashion.