Redefining Art

“Art isn’t only a painting. Art is anything that’s creative, passionate, and personal. And great art resonates with the viewer, not only with the creator. – Seth Godin

Welcome to the Spring Semester of 2018! The goal of this class is to gain an understanding of different forms of art and to redefine the word art. We will analyze the quote by Seth Godin and expand on it throughout the semester. Each student will be exposed to a dance, museums, tours, and different productions. Each art will expose you to my question what is art? Art is not just in a museum, but it can be found in a park, an apartment ,a subway stop and even in an office building. In addition, this class will stimulate different discussions about what each piece means to them? We will begin with the abstract New York Earth Room to start the discussion of how to define art. We will also learn how Barclay’s concerts are created and about the reproduction of a cartoon transformed into a theoretical performance. In addition, we’ll observe the visual arts in various Museums: the MoMa, Museum of Arts and Design and The Met. We will also observe an opera and the NYC Ballet. I hope each student will gain a unique experience to redefine their definition and appreciation for art.

Event 1: The New York Earth Room

Date: February 7th, In class

Readings: Review of The New York Earth Room,The New York Earth Room 

I will begin my class by taking them to The New York Earth Room by artist, Walter De Maria on February 7th. This exhibit is in a normal apartment building in SoHo that you need to get buzzed in. Once, you enter into the apartment you are observing 140 tons of earth. All you see is dirt. From this exhibit I want the students to question how the earth, which provides everything you need, food, wood is a form of art. I want them to question what the earth represents. In addition, I want to start off with showing how art is anything. At first, this room is what it is a room full of dirt. I want my students to begin asking questions from this piece. What is art? Is it more than a painting? A sculpture? I chose this piece because it reminded me of the photograph in The Queens Museum where water bottles of urine pictured was framed. At first, I did not think this was art, but as a class we discussed the piece and I realized what the photograph was trying to tell the viewers. This will help challenge the students original interpretation of art. The exhibit is free and we will take the Q25 and F as a class to the exhibit.

Event 2: The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Date: February 18-25, Independent Visit

Reading: Explore The Met Website to be Familiar with Different Exhibits

The second trip of the semester will be The Metropolitan Museum of Art located on 1000 5th Ave. I chose The Met because it is known to be the largest art museum in the United States, so let’s take advantage of that and visit. The Met is known for their steps in the front and I chose this venue because many teenagers know “The Met Steps” from the TV show Gossip Girl. I want my class to recognize this important museum in the city where Galas and many events take place. I also want to show them how history is a form of art. For example, recognizing the art in  an Egyptian exhibit. In addition, I want to show my class specifically, the large collection the museum has from: Asian, Egyptian, African, European painting. I hope my class will explore the famous paintings that people talk about, Self-Portrait with a Straw Hat by Vincent van Gogh, or The Death of Socrates by Jacques-Louis David. We have the experience to visit one of the most visited art museums, so why not take the trip. In addition, I want the class to continue focusing on questioning what is art? The class will go on their own time between the week February 18-25. The cost is free, but a donation is recommended.

Event Three: The Barclay’s Center Tour 

Date: February 28 , In Class

Readings: Architecture of Barclay’s Center, Gentrification of Brooklyn 

I will be taking the class on February 28 to meet with one of my cousin’s who runs the scheduling at the Barclays Center. He will give us a tour of the stadium and describe  the building’s architecture. He will talk about the copper panels and how well thought out the development of the building was. For example, how each panel was washed and dried for a period of time to make sure the copper wont drip on the sidewalks. I chose this venue so the class could be exposed to how architecture is a form of art. Additionally, my cousin will talk about how he books different events and who makes the cut to perform at Barclays. Finally, the class will learn about the gentrification of this neighborhood and how it helped / caused suffering to the community. I want my class to gain an understanding of two other forms of art architecture and performances, and artists. They will also gain in how the area of a art location is affected. This event will be free due to my connection.

Event Four: The Met Opera: La Boheme

Date: March 7

Readings: Synopsis of La Boheme , Fun Facts/History of La Boheme , 

On March 7th  my class will attend the Met Opera. I chose the opera La Boheme because the composer was Giacomo Puccini. I enjoyed his work from the first opera I attended, Madama Butterfly, so I personally want to see his other works. I want my students to see a performance that has been seen over 1200 times. From this event I would like for the class to take in every moment and the experience of the opera. They should notice the backstage work, the conductor, the translations and how much goes into one production. I want them to notice the details in the art and what makes this production a piece. They should question how does the language barrier affect one’s experience. They should also notice the crowd of the opera and how/ if that affects the way they watch the production. These tickets are $25.

Event Five: Stephen Shore Exhibition at the MoMa

Date: March 11-18, Independent Visit

Readings: Watch The Brief Description Video, Read About Stephen Shore 

The week of March 11-18 the class will visit on their own the Stephen Shore Exhibition at the MoMa. The point of his exhibit is about his own personal journey. He took pictures of his food, the people that he met, and just different sceneries. I chose this exhibit because it reminds me of my past semester of how we blogged and documented each one of our events. I want my students  blogging this semester and to come out with a  better understanding of what they are doing. They will question and understand the that art can be in a form of  documentation. In addition, they should explore and take advantage of the MoMa and visit The Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh. The class should feel an appreciation for the art available to them in NYC. This event is free with a CUNYid.

Event Six: SeaGlass Carousel Ride and Statue of Liberty

Date: April 11, In Class 

Readings:  Check Out the History and Pictures on The Website, History of Statue of Liberty 

On April 11, to continue questioning and being exposed to new arts, our class will explore Lower Manhattan.  Our first stop at the seaglass carousel Water St & State St, New York, NY 10004 the first themed carousel in Battery Park. I chose this piece because I love the concept of putting together technology and art as exemplified  with the Carousel. The cost to ride the carousel will be $5. The exhibit is from the perspective of a fish being underwater. I want my students to question is a carousel art. Is engineering art? I want to keep  questioning and expanding their definition of art. Next, we will walk around The Battery and view the Statue of Liberty. Although it represents America’s freedom, most Americans have not visited it. I want my class to notice the statue and every detail that went into it. I want them again to notice how this piece is a form of our history and it’s art. How a piece of art was a present to America. In class, we will determine if the students want to pay $18 to visit the statue or have the option to view it.  I want my class to come out of this day and notice how in the city there are so many art pieces to view and to expand the definition of art.

Event Seven: The NYC Ballet Concerto Barocco

Date: April 24 

Readings: Explore the Website, Watch Some of The Older Versions 

On April 24 we will attend the NYC Ballet. The Ballet will expose the students to the art form of dance. We will watch the Concerto Barocco choreography by George Balanchine with music by Johann Sebastian Bach. I chose this performance because it reminds me of my experience in Fall For Dance where I loved the ballet section. I enjoyed watching how it is an artwork that is live and the amount of movement and how hard ballet is. When watching the Ballet it looks so fluid  it seemed like anyone could do it. I was wrong, the more I watched the more I noticed every detail to pointing your toes and hand placement made a huge difference. My students should question how the production of the opera differs from a ballet. They should also take away the idea of what it takes to be a ballet dancer that we will discuss in class. In addition, the class should watch some performances videos from the previous production and be able to compare it to the newer one. The class should gain a better understanding in the remaking of art and notice the differences between them. The cost of this event will be $30.

Event Eight: SpongeBob on Broadway 

Date: May 3 

Readings: Ways of Seeing by John Berger chapters 1-2, Watch one episode of Spongebob, Review of Spongebob on Broadway

In order to continue the discussion of reproduction we will be attending SpongeBob on Broadway on May 3. We will attend the Palace Theatre on 1564 Broadway. The reason I picked Spongebob is because SpongeBob was my childhood show. It is one thing to see a movie transformed into a Broadway production , but seeing a comedic cartoon into a Broadway production is a whole new ball game. My students should observe the difference between the cartoon and the Broadway production. They should take note if they lost the humor or the “Spongeness” that is seen in the cartoon. In addition, my class should take away the idea that one art piece can be reproduced in many forms. The continuation of questioning what is art?  should keep on coming up. The students will question what’s the point of taking something on TV and putting on Broadway? How does viewing a show on TV differ from seeing it live? The tickets will each cost $39 in a  group rate.

Event Nine: Museum of Arts and Design (MAD)

Date: May 10 

Reading: Read about the Exhibition 

On May 10 as a class we will meet up at the MAD, Museum of Arts and Design and attend the Thursday pay as you want admission. We will observe the Derrick Adams: Sanctuary piece. I chose this piece to conclude our visits of our discussion of what art is. The artist uses different mediums like we have seen this semester. For example, he uses sounds, paper based collage, video, and multimedia sculpture. I want the students to notice these different forms of art we saw this semester as in videos we watched, pictures, sculptures and technology, which can be combined into one piece and be art. At this point of the semester the students should feel confident in understanding these abstract pieces and be able to notice the beauty of when art comes together. My students should come to the full realization in how they understand art and find their new appreciation of art.

One thought on “Redefining Art

1. Dalya,

This is a really interesting and varied semester. You’ve done a great job of framing the course around the question of what art is and I appreciate the inspiration from Seth Godin. If I teach this course again, I’m stealing the idea of visiting the Earth Room!