I grew up in a Jewish family, but to me, Judaism has always been more cultural than ideological. I did attend a local temple growing up, and had my Bat Mitzvah (a Jewish coming-of-age ceremony) when I was twelve. But what stands out most in regard to my Jewish identity is the tradition of celebrating holidays with my family. Each Jewish holiday throughout the year has a different purpose and meaning; in my family, each takes place at one of my relatives’ homes, and calls for a specific set of food.

Pictured above is a recipe for spinach pie, a staple in our family, handwritten by my grandmother. We usually eat it on occasions such as Hanukkah and Passover, when my aunt Linda invites the entire family over and we feast. Spinach pie is quite simple to make, with few ingredients, but it’s been one of my favorite dishes since I was little.

Another recipe comes from my grandmother’s family as well, but we don’t make it often because of the effort that goes into preparing it. Borekas are small pastries, usually filled with cheese and potatoes. This past December, my family visited our great uncle Milton’s house, and he taught us how to make them. The process took a few hours, as we had to take great care in shaping each one. It was a labor of love, and not only were the results fantastic, but we had learned to make something that generations before us had made.

-Sarah