I never met my grandfather on my father’s side because he died before I was born. My father’s parents came from Austria after the second World War. None of my grandparents are still with us, and my parents don’t talk about our family history often, so I didn’t know that much about our heritage.

My grandfather grew up in Austria with his uncle who was a dressmaker. He learned how to make dresses and other clothing from him. He also was a college graduate, teacher, and a carpenter while he was in Austria. He built many things that are still in my house today.

After he came to America and got married he made a slipcover for a couch. Over the years, though, the cover got damaged, but my father and his mother saved a pillowcase from it. He even made a frame for it himself and it is now hanging in my living room above the television. I also found a measuring tool that he used to use in my basement. It was probably made by his uncle and even has his last name inscribed in it.

I enjoyed working on this project because I learned new things about my grandfather that I hadn’t known before. I also feel like I am following in his footsteps since he built stuff and I am trying to become an engineer.