Mancala is an international board game, but it has always reminded me of home. My mother is from the Philippines and mancala boards are very popular souvenirs to bring back. As a kid, my cousins and I would kill time playing round after round on all of the boards my grandma kept in the basement. While the game itself is very simple, the boards are often intricately carved and constructed. Each country infuses its culture into the design of the boards, so it’s interesting comparing American versions of the board to the foreign ones. The American mancala board is extremely utilitarian; it was built to play the game, not showcase the culture of a group of people.

Though I’m biracial, I’ve always identified a little bit more with my Filipino side. My mother is an immigrant and I feel as if the artifacts from her homeland bridge the gap between our experiences. Mancala and Filipino cuisine are two diversions that my entire family can understand and appreciate. Sitting around the dining room table, age is but a number. The stories pour out of my grandparents like molasses and the Millennials are always chatting about the latest celebrity scandals. Either way, it is our culture that allows us to spend time together. The simplest things like a meal or a board game give the younger generations the opportunity to learn about their family history.

-Jaclyn