Fall 2017

La Vie Boheme

I am really big into musical theatre. I have seen close to thirty Broadway shows, and I have been performing in musical theatre since I was nine years old. That being said, RENT is one of my favorite musicals. A lot of people don’t realise that RENT is not the only Broadway musical based off of an opera. AIDA and Miss Saigon are also musicals based off of operas. Despite my extensive knowledge of musical theatre, I had never been to the opera, and was therefore ecstatic to see the origins of RENT. My parents had warned me that I would fall asleep, but they could not have been any wronger.

I found it interesting how Jonathan Larson was able to modernize the story and connect it to the issues of the time he wrote RENT. He changed the primary disease from tuberculosis to AIDS, and used the heavy influence of rock music in his musical. Another thing that’s interesting is that Larson decided to Americanize all of the original characters names except for Mimi’s. I think this adds an interesting layer to Mimi’s character, because she does not have a “traditional” American name, she stands out more to the audience and causes you to wonder how she acquired such a name.

Shifting focus, primarily to La Boheme. I realized how unclassy I am compared to everybody else at the opera. I thought I looked fancy, but everybody else looked like they were ready to meet the Queen of England. Compared to them I probably looked like the bathroom attendant. Undoubtedly, Lincoln Center is a beautiful space. It’s so huge you actually do need binoculars to see the performers on stage. The orchestra was gargantuan, all those instruments performing together really fills the space and captivates every member of the audience. I have no idea how anyone would be able to sleep with the riveting blend of the opera voices and the huge orchestra.

Musetta Slaying

To be honest, I was nervous about watching an opera in a language I do not speak, but the subtitles provided in English allowed me to appreciate the story better. More importantly, the subtitles did not distract me too much that I was not ignoring the art that was right in front of my eyes, I was still able to appreciate everything about La Boheme. Notably the sets in La Boheme were the best I have ever seen. I mean come on, they made it snow on stage! The levels utilized by the set in the town scene played to the advantage of  the staging. I felt like I an observer that happened to be passing through the scene.

Overall, I’m so glad I was able to go to the opera. It is definitely an experience worth mentioning. I feel so cultured and boujee having gone and experienced something not many people can say they have.In addition, I am so fortunate to have been able to see the origins of one of my favorite musicals.

« »