Fall 2017

La Bohèmians

Taking the train to Lincoln Center and stepping onto the whole general area gave me a sense of nostalgia. The long, wide steps that illuminate the lights across the platform and the gigantic architecture of Julliard Conservatory, New York City Ballet, The Metropolitan Opera etc. In High School I played the violin in various of outside ensembles and orchestras that would have their concert venues in Lincoln Center; Specifically, Avery Fisher Hall which is now known as David Geffen Hall. I’ve stepped onto the stage of these halls multiple times to preform different symphonies with special conductors and soloist and these memories here are very dear to me. I couldn’t be happier to come back to this special place with my amazing IDC class.The class met outside of the famous Revson water fountain. No matter how much time had passed, the fountain remained beautiful. The shimmering lights that lit up when the water rose up in different patters was stunning. My friends and I couldn’t help but to take multiple pictures with the fountain because it was so mesmerizing. The darkness illuminated by the moon made it even more gorgeous, and it truly made the night special for me.

It was time to go to our seats so we gradually walked into the venue. The dramatic doors and entrance made me feel like I was of a higher class. I noticed the amount of sophistication and wealth that was put into this venue because of the velvet carpet that covered the whole floor and how they kept it very clean. The seats were pretty higher than expected but that didn’t stop me from enjoying the moment. I had the amazing view of the chandeliers rising up because the class was able to sit early, just like how Professor Eversley had discussed in class. The lights dimmed down and I noticed that my friend Catherine next to me had not put on her subtitles so I gave her a little nudge. But I was mistaken. The orange colored subtitles were constructed so that I could not see anyone else’s for distraction purposes. Very cool.

The opera had started and the set was absolutely mesmerizing. With my limited vision through my glasses, I was able to see the intricacy of the set. The first scene started inside a house, and even though I was very far from it, I felt the warmth that the actors expressed. The actor’s projection of their singing was music to my ears. Very distant but I was able to hear each vibrato that the Tenor, Soprano etc sang. I began to think about how much preparation had to go into this production to produce such high-quality performances. The story kept me engaged because of the humor that was integrated into the script. The audience, including myself couldn’t help but laugh at some of the corny jokes that they threw at us. While watching Rodolfo and Mimi’s intimate scene, I was reminded of the movie we saw in class, Rent. The different variation of the candle moment was very romantic and interesting to see the chemistry of the two. One of the meticulous set that I noticed was the shadow that was casted from the inside of the cabin. The angle and temperature of this shadow was so detailed and exact that I couldn’t take my eyes off it. All of the acts in La Bohème were emotional and dramatic to say the least. The different motifs and themes were seen throughout the acts. The opera ended and there was a roar of applause and a wave of standing ovation.

I truly had a magical night and I am glad I got to spend it with such amazing people.

« »