After class this past week I started to think about how drastic of an impact music can have on the attitude of an individual. In class, Professor Eversley talked about how one song would stop the world and send her parents into an instant flirtatious mood. I kept thinking about how powerful this one song was and then this morning, my dad was playing a really depressing song on the guitar. I can’t explain why but all of a sudden I began to feel sad, I noticed how dreary the day was and did not feel motivation to change from pajamas to actual clothes. I quickly realized this sudden shift in my mood, and realized that I did not have a direct source to this sadness other than the song my dad was playing.  I began to wonder why music has the impact to completely change the course of your day.

I think that music is so powerful is because it speaks in ways that our spoken words fail. Not only can a singer express how they feel through powerful lyrics, but a violin, a piano, a trumpet, or any other instrument can fill the silence behind spoken words with pure sounds of emotion. When we hear music we relate the sounds and words we hear to a specific situation that of our lives, and song forces us to rehash and accept these emotions that we have forgotten and thus deepening our humanity.

It’s so important for us to recognize the force of music because it can be the factor that brings us strength in times of weakness or realization in times of a political turmoil. Whether the song is sad, disturbing, politically charged, or simply just fun, we as humans succumb to it ad accept it as more powerful as any of us will ever be.