We had the lovely pleasure of hearing Sara Davis Buechner play for us. Her witty charm was captivating and her Trump jokes had me rolling. Her talent surpassed my expectations I’m not the biggest fan of classical music but I have a space in my heart for Frederic Chopin. Especially Nocturne in Eb Major, Op.9; No.2 ask me what all of that means I have no idea but its beautiful. When Sara announced she would be playing a song by Chopin I started squealing and fangirling to Mark who was right next to me. Although I was expecting her Chopin piece to be my favorite it was actually second rhapsody by George Gershwin. I enjoyed the background information she gave behind the song and explaining its relationship to the city life and its sounds. If Buechner had never pointed it out honestly I would have never noticed the sounds but since she mentioned them beforehand I was able to hear the construction noises in the song. The most notable aspects of all the songs were her passion. Buechner was having the time of her life playing the piano which led to me being excited since she was as well.

Sara is an inspiration to all of us demonstrating that one can succeed despite all the odds, especially in the transgender community. Her story can inspire others who wish to transition and are scared of how other people may perceive them. I think the most important aspect of this is although she faced criticism from the people closest to her she still put her happiness above all else which can be an example to all of us.

The classical music scene tends to be extremely conservative which is devastating since there are so many people filled with talent who are overlooked just because they don’t fit their archetype of a classical music composer. Sara performed for presidents at the most prestigious concerts yet because of expressing her identity she was shunned. Luckily she was able to have a fresh start in Canada however it took time to rebuild her reputation as Sara but it happened everything that is meant to happen will happen.

Not only did I admire her perseverance but her love for culture as well. She is proficient in Japanese and even told us a comical story regarding one of her stays in Japan. She told a story along every composer and a historic overview of the piece, not only does Sara love what she’s doing but she knows the in and out of it like the back of her hand and that is a true passion. I undoubtedly loved the performance but I loved her passion even more.