After visiting the David Zwirner Gallery, I realized the different factors that go into making an art exhibition. Walls are painted a blinding white, floors are absolutely spotless, and tall, glass windows bring in natural light. Mirrors are hung to open up the space. Ruth Asawa’s art pieces are mounted onto the blank walls, or hung from the ceiling with invisible string. There is little to no distraction, with the main focus set on the pieces presented.

What I found most interesting about Asawa’s art sculptures was how detailed and intricate each piece was. Every wire was condensed and coiled in a purposeful pattern, and molded into structured shapes. The sculpture I chose to focus on was actually part of a set, hanging near the back of the main room. It was pretty small in size, but had multiple layers weaved within. Additionally, it looked extremely delicate, as if the top and bottom layer were on the verge of falling. Looking at its profile, I thought the sculpture slightly resembled a fish, with the middle triangle’s sides sticking out like fins. From upside down, the piece looked like a long tunnel, or cone.

In one of the articles we read, Asawa mentioned how her sculptures weren’t supposed to be mobiles, hence why her pieces weren’t moving. I actually preferred them still, because it allowed me to walk around them instead. I was able to observe different angles of the pieces, and gain a new perspective on each one. While I walked through each room, I wondered how long each sculpture took to create, and what other tools Asawa used to ensure the uniformity of the sculptures’ shapes and sizes. I also took into account how Asawa’s Japanese heritage and her childhood both could have been possible influences of her work.

Looking through Asawa’s exhibition, I considered what the art pieces would look like, had there not been a white wall, or a spotless floor. Would the pieces look different in yellow light? What if Asawa had chosen to make her sculptures mobiles instead? Having the sculpture’s surroundings be clean and plain allowed for each twist and coil of the wires to be even more distinct. I especially liked how all the wires used were uniform in color, texture, and thickness. Having all other factors constant allowed for Asawa’s creativity in shaping the wires to stand out.

Ultimately, experiencing this gallery as our first cultural trip outside of class was exciting. In the past, I would become easily bored at art museums because I would simply look at a painting and walk off to the next one. After seeing Ruth Asawa’s pieces, I have become more appreciate of art, along with the different types of art that can be displayed. Now, when I look at a piece of art, I look at the environment it’s in, and its surroundings. I ask questions about the size, shape, color, and texture of the piece. I make sure to examine the artwork at different dimensions and angles, gaining a new perspective each time.