Fall 2017

Wildflowers On My Mind

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_2plXJrjV0]

Recently, I stumbled upon “CatCreature” on YouTube. I cannot remember how I found her; maybe it was her dorm room tour that lured me in at 4AM when I could not fall asleep, having taken a long nap just a few hours earlier. I do know her name is Annabelle, she might be a year or two years older than us, and she’s an art student at Rhode Island School of Design. She often makes vlogs, short clips of the things she does in her daily life compiled into a single video with the aid of some editing, possibly for her family across the country in California.

Other than her interesting vlogs (which I have watched the majority of by now), this sketchbook entry video was the third video of her’s that I watched and the one that left the biggest impression on me. It got me thinking: paintings that we see in museums and works in galleries have no voice.

We are often left to dig up what the artists’ were thinking with the pieces of evidence they have aligned like a trial in the woods, scattered and unspoken of. I like hearing what is going on in an artist’s mind and seeing it drawn out. In this video, Annabelle sketches and talks about a hike she went on with her biological father, using soft background music and her voice to re-express her thoughts with emotion and feeling so viewers can empathize. You can tell she does not have the best relationship with him and she does her best to mend the broken relationship, but she acknowledges that some things are meant to be out of her control.

There is a part when she says, “I felt this remorse that I should have done things differently. That the last time I saw him, I didn’t have to cut our hike short. That maybe we could have spoken more.” She sounds unsure when suggesting that she did not have to cut the hike short and I thought it was so beautifully said and it was something that hit home.

She ends the entry with a beautiful outlook on life. Something that touched me and maybe something I could learn from so I can learn to let go because some things are out of my control. “The hike we went on had lots and lots of wildflowers, and it makes me think. I think they’re my favorite. You can choose to love it for what it is, or you don’t have to appreciate them at all, and they’re just weeds. I think there’s something so beautiful about the arbitrariness, the untamed and unpredictability of nature. And it’s when we choose to embrace it, do we truly know its beauty.”

Art and works we can empathize with and relate to always have the biggest impact.

« »