The Arts in NYC Fall 2012

Join this site

If you want to add yourself as a user, please log in, using your existing Macaulay Eportfolio account.

Site menu:

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Art Around the City

November 2012
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

RSS New York Times Arts Section

Reflection on Complexions

When I first heard we were going to see a ballet, I innately grimaced and did not think I would enjoy the experience. My initial thoughts that popped into my mind when I hear the word “ballet,” were tutus and boring music, and I just did not think I would be able to ever enjoy the performance. However, when we started talking about modern ballet and how it contrasted between stereotypical ballet, my view on the idea of us seeing the ballet slowly began to change. I liked the fact that these dancers defied the traditional form of ballet through their appearance, the music they played while they danced, and the stomps the dancers implemented into their routines. I also noticed how both genders were now included into ballet, and how the idea of dance itself has become one that is asexual. Given all these developments about dance that I learned before seeing the ballet, my expectations were slightly raised.

When we got to the theater and began to watch the dancers, my entire view on dance underwent a complete transformation. I never thought I would enjoy watching people dance to music and move their bodies in such intricate ways. I developed a sense of respect for the art, one that I never really knew until I actually saw it. I think the fact that we were two rows away created my reverence for dance. We watched the sweat pour off the dancers’ backs, heard them breathe and whisper to each other, and were able to witness the intense concentration and devotion to dance in their eyes. I was able to see the passion and determination in each of the dancer’s eyes. It was evident that dancing was their profession, just as an accountant studies accounting, a lawyer studies law, and how a doctor studies anatomy. It is hard to put a number on how many hours these individuals practice on a daily basis. It was clear, though, these professionals put in an abundance of emotion and creativity in their dances, which is aptly illustrated by their elaborate performances.  Moreover, my favorite performance was one of the pieces done by the group from New Orleans. I enjoyed this specific part of the show because I think it brought an insight into the culture of New Orleans that we on the east coast cannot really appreciate or notice. I liked how they came to represent their neighborhood in an artistic way through dance, and I felt like they embodied the future of dance.

Overall, going to see Complexions was a gratifying experience, and I am glad I got to experience it with my classmates.

Write a comment