The Arts in NYC Fall 2012

Join this site

If you want to add yourself as a user, please log in, using your existing Macaulay Eportfolio account.

Site menu:

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Art Around the City

December 2012
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  

RSS New York Times Arts Section

Review of “Aida”

When I first learned that we were going to the opera in the beginning of the year, I was sort of intrigued. I’ve never been to an opera before so I had no real expectations. I only heard people’s opinions of the opera; some raved about it, and some absolutely despised it. I would say that after my first trip to the opera, I have mixed reviews.

The positive side to my experience at the opera was the ambiance of the theater. Just walking around on the Upper West Side in nice dress clothes was a fun experience in itself because it really allowed us to get a feel for the elite side of New York.  Being at Lincoln Center allowed us to temporarily enter a social class in which we usually do not reside, and it felt cool to sort of be “undercover” throughout the performance. I noticed there were some people there who seemed like the opera was their hot spot, and that it was designed for them to be there. However, since we were in the same venue as these individuals, my classmates and I have every right to show up at another opera (even if we do smell like a chicken burrito from Chipotle) and act like it’s our place, too. Furthermore, another aspect of “Aida” I enjoyed was the intermissions. I felt like the performance was spaced out really well so the audience never got excessively bored or tired. If the intermissions came in longer intervals during the production, I feel like I could have gotten bored and could have possibly dozed off in my seat. However, the length and timing of the intermissions helped me sustain an interest in the production, so I was appreciative of those breaks. Additionally, another point of the opera I liked was the orchestra. I could be totally wrong in my perspective of the orchestra, but to me it seems like opera-goers only focus on the actors and their singing and not the music being played. I frequently glanced down at the band, and they all had such intense looks on their faces. It was obvious that playing music was their dream, and they definitely put in their 10,000 hours. I think all their coordination and synchronized music really enhanced the opera in a way that I never thought a band was capable of doing.

Moreover, there were some parts of the opera I did not find so enjoyable. I thought some of the actors in the opera did not live up to their hype. Like most of my classmates noticed,  the singer who played Aida was a little flat, and Ramades seemed a little uncomfortable. Their acting was also a little shaky. When Aida’s father tells her she is going to be known as the pharaoh’s slave, not his daughter, Aida simply fell over and began to weep. If a parent disowns a child, you would expect the young person to be an emotional wreck, not dismissive. So, the negative components to the experience would have to be the somewhat flat voices of the stars of the play and the lack of expression on their faces.

Overall, attending “Aida” was a great opportunity for me to learn more about New York City at it’s finest, and I am glad I got to experience it with my classmates.

Write a comment