Marcos Chin on the 6 train

While taking the 6 train this morning to school, I noticed a familiar painting sitting directly in my sight on the wall. The “cartoonish” feel of the painting was created by Marcos Chin and, upon first glance, depicts the Grand Central walkway. The famous clock tower standing in the middle supported my guess, and the gates in the back did as well. Thus it makes sense that the entire population of New York City is depicted, in all their colors, shapes and forms. With that said, I found it interesting that almost every basic color was used; purple, black, green, grey, blue, red, orange, yellow, and so on. Every person is outlined in black and the dominating color of either the people or their belongings is a pinkish-red. I wonder if this is the case because New Yorkers have a cut-throat, fast moving persona about them; it certainly looks like everyone in the painting is in a rush. Also, only one person in the entire image is not looking straight ahead into the “future”; she is the girl on the mid-left side in pink headphones, sporting a pink bag. It seems as though every person pictured has a quirky touch to them and encompasses what the city is about – the guitarist, the shopper, the happy couple. The last detail that stuck out to me was the time; at first I couldn’t tell the difference between the minute and hour hand, but upon closer examination, it seems to be 7:15. Yet the city is always vibrant and energized, so the question becomes: are these people fresh and starting their day, or exhausted from work and happy to head home?

MTA