My Review on “Fun Home”

IMG_2465-1

images

This past Wednesday, we went to see “Fun Home” at the Public Theater. (The first picture above was taken from my phone camera, sorry about the horrible quality!) I absolutely loved how director Sam Gold creatively made Bechdel’s graphic novel come to life, literally! I loved loved loved it! He excellently weaved together a beautiful musical. I admired how adult Alison stood over at the sidelines and gave her comments to the audience. It made it so entertaining to watch.

I also love the tone and overall atmosphere that the actors and stage had. The costumes and settings were exactly as I pictured it in the graphic novel, except better! The stage was very detailed and interesting. I love how the turnstile on the stage added to the effect of different settings weaving together. The musical definitely was a different experience compared to when I read the book. When I was reading the book it was really depressing to read, but when I was in the Public Theater, I felt excited to learn what was next despite the fact I knew what would happen next!

Watching this musical made me feel like a kid again! I wonder what Alison Bechdel would think if she saw this. I wonder if it would be up to her standards. Would she like it or not? Also, I wonder what the older audience members were thinking about when they saw this. Did they see the deep meaning behind this musical compared to us who read the book? I wonder how long it took for the children on set to rehearse, they feel so confident and strong on stage. I’m curious about how the kids on set feel when they hear cursing or see partial nudity when they’re on stage.

I asked a few of you guys what you thought and most of you thought it was amazing compared to the book because the musical bought Bechdel’s autobiography to life. Did you guys find any flaws in this? I thought it was exceptionally perfect! What else do you guys think about this musical?