The MET

One of the first things I noticed during my past visit to the MET was the beauty of the building itself. The entire museum is renowned as one of the biggest art museums in the world and the amount of detail that went into constructing it was really brought to my attention. A lot of the people who visit the MET often go to appreciate the main art work that is inside and being displayed. Some of the work may be displayed for a period of time and then be moved but, there is one form of art that has remained in the structure since it was built; the architecture and design that went into creating it. The high vaulted ceilings, the multiple pillars, and various designs that are everywhere through out the building truly caught my eye during my past visit. Having been founded in 1870, the Metropolitan Museum of Art has not only become an icon of New York because of the quality of the art work inside but also because of the independent grandiose and opulence of the structure. Stretching for basically an entire city block the MET is something that catches the eye of anyone who walks by it. It stands out for its size at first and then for the amount of detail that went into it. Once you go inside it also truly does not disappoint and maintains a high level of quality as you walk around inside.

Much in the same way art galleries are made to be completely white in order to highlight the works being displayed, the MET acts in a similar fashion by exhibiting various art works in a work of art to reinforce and essentially create an aura supporting the artistic and historical importance of everything in the room. While walking through out the MET through the hallways and large arced entrances into each separate section it became very clear to me that many people go into the MET not only for the art being displayed but for the actual structure where they can appreciate and gaze in awe. One of the main rooms that I had walked into was displayed statues that were large in size but in comparison to the height of the vaulted ceiling with intricate designs etched on to the surface made them look relatively small. Other rooms displayed pillars that were huge in size but still managed to look small when I looked left and right upon the openness and space of the area.

As I walked outside and down the steps in front of the MET and turned around the pillars that were part of the structure looked surprisingly similar to those that I had seen inside. Of course this is because of the incorporation of different styles of architecture that were used in creating the MET, but isn’t that the point. To display art in such a place where it can really be appreciated for what it is. After doing an in depth analysis of architecture in New York I now have another structure to site whenever I talk about architecture as an art.

20131105_122503

20131105_122828