Pop Art Totem Pole at City Hall Park

One day I went to Pace University to meet up with my boyfriend. I got there a little early so I decided to take a little walk through City Hall Park. While walking, I stumbled upon this humongous sculpture. It looked like a totem pole, but not like the traditional, Native American totem poles. No, this totem pole featured four segments, each segment being a different color. This sculpture is part of a series of artworks featured in the park called Lightness of Being by Gary Webb. However, despite there being other sculptures in the series, this sculpture caught my eye because it reminded me of pop art in a sense with its bright colors. Also, it seems like some of the paint was trying to move away from the totem pole, since some of the paint extends out of the sculpture. Rather than having the paint stay on the artwork, the paint seems to be coming off, which is completely against traditional ways of painting (hence why I thought of pop art!) I looked online and saw that this will be in City Hall Park until December 13th, so if you are interested make sure to check it out before its gone! A, C, J, Z, 2, 3, 4, 5 trains to Fulton Street!

2013-10-17 12.53.56