The House in a Bottle

This week has been particularly rough, I was in the hospital a few days ago doing cat scans, x-rays, EKGs, blood tests – the works. While I was there, I desperately tried to mentally escape, and the television showing some reality program not helping. So I decided to get creative and rely on my imagination. I remembered seeing a public art piece while walking along Chelsea Piers. It was a home inside of a bottle that I was planning on blogging about, so I decided to construct an elaborate plot behind its construction.

Inside of the bottle - toilet is off to the side, television and chair in the distance

Inside of the bottle – toilet is off to the side, television and chair in the distance

Inside of the bottle - sink

Inside of the bottle – sink

Outside of the bottle

Outside of the bottle

To sum up my story: a boy and girl lived next to each other and the girl’s dad made ships in a bottle using “magic” – not allowing anyone to see the process. The boy didn’t believe him so he hid and watched, once he “understood”, he tried it in big scale. The boy brought the girl to his magnificent ship but she disregarded it because she knew only magic could create it, so to prove it worked they tool it for a test run, but they crashed and landed on a deserted island. The boy still remembered how to create the bottle, so he did, and he wanted to use it to get back home, creating livable situations inside. Their life would then become a message in a bottle for everyone to explore and piece together, and when they landed on Chelsea Piers, this became their gift to New York City, for everyone to see.

It’s not the most beautifully constructed story, but it helped me escape and showed me the beauty of art. I must admit, I never saw the purpose of the majority of art, especially as an environmentalist who mainly thought they were wastes of our resources. And while I still do adhere to this principle in many ways, I suppose I can become more tolerable of grandiose art pieces such as these, especially if I begin to think that each art piece helps someone in some shape or form. Behind my environmentalist ways are simply a concern for others to ensuring everyone a healthy and happy life on Earth, and if art can successfully do that for some, as I can now understand, perhaps I can appreciate art that much more.

2 thoughts on “The House in a Bottle

1. Karen Lau

Hi Michele,
    This is so interesting! So are people actually able to walk inside the bottle to view the things inside? I would love to check this out. Also, I definitely agree with you when you say that art and imagination can help people temporarily escape from the hectic world we live in today. I can relate since I also find myself making up stories or even wonder as to why an artist may have constructed a certain piece of art, thus constructing stories or experiences an artist may have went through. It made me think of how artists themselves make art in order to mentally escape for a while, something that I can also relate to since I used to try improvising on piano and sketch whenever I felt really stressed or anxious

2. Michele Bradley Post author

I’m glad you appreciate it as much as I did! Unfortunately people aren’t allowed inside, I just took pictures from a glass window, but it’s extremely interesting to see such a big sculpture with such detail inside.