Complexions Review

The Complexions performance at the Joyce Theater was quite an experience. Going to the movie theater, baseball games, and other large events, I would think front row, or very close to front row seats are awesome. They make us feel top notch, first class, and are supposed to be good thing. However, front seats at the Joyce Theater was not a good idea at all. It was nerve-racking, because the dancers were sweating and breathing, and I felt like I was too close to them. Personally, I like to keep a distance from people, and I felt like I was making them even more nervous and adding to their tension by being all up in their faces. It got to the point where I could see the sweat on their foreheads dancing off into the air, and I was afraid some of it would land on me. Therefore, no more front seats ever again for me, especially at a dance performance.

The professor said we would be witnessing a ballet performance, so I was expecting something like the Nutcracker. For some reason, I also thought the performance would be boring, because I don’t really pay attention to watching dance, unless I’m watching myself dance. However, the performance blew me away, and I loved the way the performers kept their energy levels up the whole time, especially towards the end. It was interesting to see their moods change throughout all three parts of the performance. I had questions in my head that were left unanswered, and I believe that’s something awesome about the performance: the curiosity kept me glued to my seat. Is there something I’m supposed to understand from the performance? Why is she making those faces? How come he’s moving so slowly? There were moments when I thought I would understand something by the end of a segment of the performance, and there were moments when I was feeling the tensions of the performers, based on their body language.

I absolutely enjoyed the third part of the performance, and I definitely started clapping to the beat. The performance was exceptional, and the dancers were fantastic. Their energy kept me awake and going as well, because if they started losing it, I would have fell asleep in that seat, considering how late it was and exhausted I was that night. That would have been a disaster for somebody sitting in front row seats!