Dyker Heights Lights Up Brooklyn

Living in Brooklyn, we have a great variety of hidden treasures. One of them includes the Dyker Heights Lights. Dyker Heights, a neighborhood Southern Brooklyn, is known for its beautiful christmas light presentations. Almost every resident in the neighborhood participates in decorating their house and yard with christmas lights and decorations. I live and pass by said houses constantly. And the one above is an example of its extravagant decorations.

Dyker Heights gets heavy car and foot traffic closer and closer to Christmastime because of tourists and locals checking out the beautiful lights. I’ve always thought that there was an art to christmas lighting because the right lights and combinations can bring the ultimate Christmas feeling. There is also a lot of work put into lighting. As in the house above, they have lights on almost every inch of the house and you can only imagine how hard it was to put decorations on the taller areas. Also not seen in the picture, they actually put reindeer lights on the telephone lines coming out from their house and above the street to mirror a carriage like image. A lot of hard work and creativity must’ve gone into these famous lights and other houses even decorate their mini gazebo. You all should check them out!

4 thoughts on “Dyker Heights Lights Up Brooklyn

1. lubnarahmani

Wow, I have to check that out too! It’s really nice, especially because that picture was taken at night, so the lights are just awesome. I remember when I used to live in Texas as a little kid, I would wait until Christmas to see all the rich people with mansions do their Christmas decorations. Cool! I plan on doing this type of stuff when I’m older too!

2. Manwei Huang

Hey Stella!

I actually went to middle school in the Dyker Heights neighborhood, and every year come Christmas, I remember the houses were all decorated for the holiday season. Ever since my elementary school years, my family has had a small tradition each year at Christmas time to go see the lights in Dyker Heights. It was one of my favorite times of the holiday season, but as we got older, we didn’t have as much enthusiasm for it. But seeing your post and the picture that you took of one of the houses, I think I should really check it out this year and reboot the tradition! 🙂

3. Jeongwoo Nahm

I never realized that there were famous Christmas light attractions outside of Manhattan. It must be really cool knowing that you live right by a Christmas tourist attraction and that you can visit anytime you want because its in your neighborhood. It seems like everyone really takes it seriously judging by how every inch of their houses are covered in lights.

4. Wendy Li

I remember when I first moved into Brooklyn, my father drove us to Dyker Heights to see the lights. Having lived in the city for more than 12 years, I found the highly decorated gigantic houses a nice change to the skyscrapers that I was used to seeing. I did not expect for there to be so many people lining up just to see these houses. I remember walking by each house and just really feeling like I was in the holiday spirit.