OOF

While at the MoMA I stumbled across this one painting titled OOF by Edward Ruscha. It caught my eye immediately, most likely because of the vivid contrasting colors and made me appreciate the painting for what it had done. Initially before having any significant knowledge in regards to art I would have probably looked at the painting and then wondered to myself how it even managed to get in a museum. I mean, all it says is “OOF” and only uses two colors. Now I can see that the painting not only reads “OOF” but also has a way of expressing it. When I look at the painting the description fits rather nicely and because of the way the word is complimented the painting for me is basically an embodiment of the meaning of the word “OOF”. To make a person think like this is what makes art so great. Its more than just surface value, and as long as you’re willing to give it a chance, you can more often than not surprise yourself.

2 thoughts on “OOF

1. lubnarahmani

Yeah, you’re right! Who would have thought the word “OOF” could have been a work of art? That’s crazy. But you actually took the time to look at it. I would have the type of person to walk away from it, never giving thought to what the word means to the artist. I mean, I’m not saying that its a work of art, but it is interesting, because I’m still sitting here asking myself, “Why would anyone consider this word a piece of art?” This word isn’t even in the dictionary! Thanks for sharing Shujat; your post was very interesting.

2. Stephen Ng

Hey Shujat,

“OOF” is certainly a great art piece, but I can’t tell if it’s my monitor or something, I see different hues of blue and yellow throughout the painting. You really make a great point about examining or looking past more than what meets the eye; there’s a whole wealth of information you really can’t deduce without critically looking at every aspect of something.