Style is to Fashion what Graffiti is to Art

20131003_204549

Last weekend I went to Urban Outfitters with my friend and while I waited for her to try on clothes, a book caught my attention. The book was called “Street Fashion Photography” by Dyanna Dawson. This book was full of photographs of random New Yorkers that the author/photographer encountered and found interesting because of their outfits. All the participants had a street style that which I can’t really define. Street style can range from sneakers to heels and from Iooking preppy to looking really cool. I think street style is to fashion what graffiti is to art. its that underground movement that changed the common perception.

20131003_204537

2 thoughts on “Style is to Fashion what Graffiti is to Art

1. Teresa Lo

Hi Semona! I think fashion is a huge part of art! Different styles and clothes define art movements as much as paintings and sculptures do. Fashion changes along with time and shows the transition of how people feel and what the trends are. It’s awesome that this photographer compiled this book of photographs of people with stylish outfits. The fashion of clothing is one of the reason why New York is New York. Because we are all different in our own way, no one person is exactly the same. I love how one person never has the same exact outfit as another. Being unique and different and true to ourselves is what makes New York what it is today. Awesome post Semona! Hope to hear more from you!

2. lawrence Portman

Hey Semona. Just want to mention that street style now is progressing to be more modern and contemporary. people have begun to follow all the brands that Kanye west and other influential people are wearing it and adopting this as their own style. It is actually quite interesting because unlike before where street style was much more affordable and laid back; today people are buying very expensive brands instead such as Givenchy, Balenciaga, Alexander Wang among other very expensive brands. I also agree with Teresa in that Fashion is very much a part of part and this is often forgotten and neglected by many in the art community. Awesome post!