Complexions Review

Complexions Contemporary Ballet at Joyce theater showed me a side of ballet I was oblivious to. Instead of appearing soft and delicate, these dancers were stomping their feet and used the dancing techniques we learned about in class. While I found it difficult to follow the storyline of the acts, I was still able to form my interpretations of their dancing.

The dancers wore nude costumes during the first act which I thought symbolized a type of birth. They were revealing themselves to us in this performance. Instead of focusing on the colors or designs of the costumes, I focused on the dancing since the costumes were minimalistic. This scene had a dark atmosphere which I had not previously experienced at a ballet.

I thought the second act had something to do with a heart beating. Everyone was in skeleton costumes and the background music was just one beat being repeated. As the beat sped up, so did the performers. Their bodies also were pulsating in synchronization with the music. It was an innovative way to show the conscious movements, the dancing, of the human body with the subconscious function, the heartbeat, of the human body.

The final act was my favorite because it was dedicated to happiness. The music was had lyrics for the first time in the show and was upbeat. The dancers pranced freely around the stage and wore bright colors to show their cheery mood. There was also a part where they had couples dancing together but I think they would switch partners. I’m not sure if this was supposed to a statement or just a way to create more movement but I interpreted it as a statement. The dancers found joy dancing with each other and interacting.

I was excited to have such great seats. We were so close that I could see the sweat coming off the dancer’s bodies and hear them breathing. I think even seats in the back would’ve been good for this performance. Since it was a group performance, seeing the dance from a distance would allow a better perception of how the group functions and effects each other.