Is this Art?

Maybe it’s just my lack of understanding, but what defines art as art? For example, I find it very hard to appreciate pieces like the one I posted below. Even after discovering that the piece is not just a canvas covered in black, I still can’t seem to consider it ‘art.’ Shouldn’t there be a difference between art at a professional level compared to, let’s say, my horrible artwork? I value abstract art to a certain extent in that it shows a great deal of creativity and expression once you really learn the story or history behind each piece, but I don’t really know what to say about this.

black

This piece is part of Ad Reinhardt’s Black series and it just blows me away, dumbfounded on how I am supposed to react or even look at the work. Although it made me feel a little bit better once I did my research and found out it wasn’t just a single black, I find it hard to believe that a piece like this goes on display. The piece actually consists of smaller squares that are made up of different shades of black. People say that works like this are timeless, relationless, changeless, etc.. I find it rather bland.

2 thoughts on “Is this Art?

1. Manwei Huang

Hi Jeongwoo!

I agree with you 100%. It really brings up the big question of what is considered art. I remember seeing an exhibit at the MoMA this past summer and thinking the same thing when I saw several works that appeared to just be two solid color canvases placed next to each other. (I can’t recall the name of the artist) This exhibit was placed in the room right next to Picasso and Van Gogh’s exhibition rooms, and this just confused me. I was just flabbergasted as to how a work as bland and simple can be compared to the work of such famous artists as Van Gogh. It might just be me ranting because I don’t understand that particular artist’s art, but I totally get your point.

2. Wendy Li

The first thing I did when I saw this was laugh and thought to myself, “Oh no not another one of those boring paintings..” I still don’t get paintings like that. They baffle me. I may be ignorant, but seriously, I can do that at home and probably in my sleep. Perhaps, my lack of understanding is what makes me ignorant and very confused as to why such paintings are significant at all.