Subway Masstrainiscope

Everyday, when I come to Baruch from where I live in Brooklyn, I always see this on the manhattan bound Q-train as it leaves Dekalb Avenue. After searching it up to learn more about it and what it is, I now know that it is called the Masstraniscope. In an unusual piece of urban subway art, the masstraniscope consists of rows of still images in slitted light boxes, laid out in formation along the wall of the tunnel and as the train moves, the imagines create the illusion of movement. Apparently the masstraniscope has been there for over 30 years, although I myself was unaware of it until I began taking the train to Baruch this year. It was created in the late 1970’s and was the idea of artist and film-maker, Bill Brand. Bill and a public art organization called, Creative Time contacted the MTA in the late 1970s, even as the system was beginning to crumble, to let him transform the tracks themselves into art. Over the years, it has been viewed by millions of people. For me, traveling early in the morning to Baruch can sometimes be very dull. It is art pieces like this, which make me curious and brighten my day.